- 3 eggs (divided)
- 115g sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 45g flour (sifted 4+ times)
- 20g corn flour (sifted 4+ times)
- icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 150 °C and line your muffin/cupcake tray with paper liners.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt together on a high speed for around 4-5 minutes until light in colour and fluffy in texture. In the meantime, continue to sift both types of flour. This will make the texture of your cupcakes much lighter.
- Sift around 1/3 of the flour onto the yolk mixture and mix in on a slow-medium speed. Repeat until all the flour is combined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed and then fold the egg whites gently into the batter; be careful not to over-fold the mixture.
- Spoon into your cupcake liners and bake for around 20 minutes, or until the surface of each cupcake springs back when touched.
- Place on a cooling rack and subsequently dust lightly with icing sugar.
* Makes 12 cupcakes.
These cupcakes are only mildly lemony. This is a personal preference. Feel free to add more lemon zest if you like.
- Double the recipe if you choose to opt for a cake rather than cupcakes. Bake in two unbuttered 7" cake tins for 25-30 minutes.
- Substitute the lemon zest/juice with orange zest/juice for an orange sponge.
- Alternatively, replace the citrus flavours with cinnamon or cocoa powder. In such cases, be sure to swap the 1 tbsp of juice with an equivalent amount of water.